Trance (A Dream), teaser

Trance (A Dream) is my video artwork from 2021. It's about a shaman's trance and searching for a connection between the worlds.

Info:

K. Tschährä: Trance (A Dream), video, 8 minutes, 2021. Filming and editing: Jemina Siltala. Music: Elias Laiho. Assistant: Kirsi Tuuliniemi.

Here you see a short teaser from the video.

Shaman (ŝaman; the one who knows / sees) is a healer, clairvoyant, spiritual adviser and the link between the worlds in his/her society. Dream or trance leads shaman to the upper, middle and under world. Drumming, rituals and shaky dance are usual parts of a shaman's trance.




I'm performing in the video. I made my shaman headpiece myself, all the materials are recycled. I got old reindeer antlers from a friend. A real shaman always makes the headpiece him/herself. The costume is simple and common because I wanted the result to look like a dream where real and unreal worlds get mixed. There is recognizability more than using a traditional looking shaman costume.

The movement is TRE (Tension and Trauma Release Excercises  ®), that comes automatically. I have been practising TRE already for years. For me the moves come out very strong. TRE simulates in the video a shaman's trance - there is no real trance occuring.

Trance (A Dream) was filmed in an old factory hall in Finlayson cotton mill factory. The hall is from 1837. Video was shown on 4 meters wide wall in a group exibition during the winter 2021-2022. The space was in the neighboring, similar hall and between similar pillars that are seen also in the video. In the dark space the viewer had a feeling being in front of the character.

Comments