Feather painting and blue shades

 For my new exhibition I painted some bigger artworks - normally I draw quite small works. My exhibition Nature Forms will be open in restaurant Henriks untill 14th May. Henriks is an easygoing fine dining restaurant with changing art exhibitions, situating in Tampere city center, Satamakatu 7.

For the restaurant's light, long wall I made three paintings with bluish colors. I used acrylic ink plus pigment ink pens for the work in the middle. I painted also with feathers plus used rough seasalt. Some photos from the process below.


ravintola Henriks taidenäyttely
From the left: Ice-Tulip, Fantasy Coral and Water-Rose. K. Tschährä's exhibition Nature Forms.

K. Tschährä paintings
K. Tschährä's exhibition in fine dining restaurant Henriks, Satamakatu 7, Tampere, Finland. 


I loved to paint with bigger moves and lines, it's wonderful change after detailed drawing. I noticed I need very much both of these techniques. I also love to do several works at the same time. I can paint for a while and then I want to concentrate on small drawing line with my dear 005 ink pen.

For these three paintings I used blue and pink colors. For the works on left and right I used also pearl-color, almost invisible paint, that is seen only in certain angles. I like to idea of hiding things into my works and leave details to be found by viewer.


K Tschährä painting
K. Tschährä: Ice-Tulip, acrylic ink, 75x56cm, 2023.


Here I'm painting with feathers. It gives a wild touch: you never know exactly where the lines are coming. It's also fun! Drawing and painting is so wonderful - especially if you are having fun at the same time!

Feather painting by K. Tschährä
Painting with feathers.

Feather painting
I attached feathers on my fingers. Feathers give wild lines!

I used also rough sealsalt to make interesting marks on the paint. Marks look a bit like small craters. Seasalt also leaves glimmering look. I try always not to waste anything, so I use the same seasalt over and over again.

Work in progress
Water and seasalt are important for my paintings.

Feather marks
Here you see lines that I painted with feathers plus marks created by rough seasalt.

Fantasy Coral needed some drawing too, so I used my pink and purple pigment ink pens for some interesting details. This kind of makes visible a secret life inside the sea, in the middle of a beautiful coral.

K. Tschährä painting
K. Tschährä: Fantasy Coral, acrylic ink and pigment ink pens, 75x56cm, 2023.

Drawing painting detail
Fantasy Coral, detail.


Testing new techniques gives lots of extra power for creativity. Sometimes I feelt I have so much energy inside of me and things going around in my head that I need these new ideas to keep me calm and not to get fidgety. Painting and drawing are important processes for me, I'm very intuitive and at the same time physical artist, and need to feel the paper, materials, the movement of drawing or painting process in my body. That brings me lots of joy and happiness.

Comments