Trance (A Dream) - video artwork

K. Tschährä art video in Finlayson Art Area group exhibition in Galleria Himmelblau
K. Tschährä: Trance (A Dream), 2021. Video, still photo.


Trance (A Dream), 2021, is my first art video that was shown for the first time in the group exhibition in Dec21-Jan22 produced by Printmaking Studio / Gallery Himmelblau. I'm performing in the video simulating shaman's trance. Here are some still photos of the video. Trance (A Dream) is also a key to my drawings.

Video is about a dreamish (or nightmarish) vision of a shaman who is searching for the connection with lower, middle and upper worlds. Video starts with the heart beat that turns into an electric drum used in trance music. it includes beautiful mysterious voices from whales too. In the end shaman gets connected.

I didn't want to make a usual shaman outfit, I wanted it to look modern and everyday (or more like everynight:). The small outfit exposes the movement in the muscles better than covering clothes.

I made my shaman mask myself. Shamans have always made their masks themselves, it's sacred and not to be played with. Also I have a certain seriousness about this mysterious and beautiful mask I made. The hornes are reindeer horns. I actually got these hornes from my friend; their family have had the horns for many years at their summer cottage, above the doorway. The earlier owner has put them there. And now they are part of my art.





My art is based on automatic movement of the body and the work of subconscious. My art has shamanistic level in the meaning of weaving everything together; the microcosm and macrocosm, the past and the future and the things in soul and subconscious that we can't explain with science.

The movement I'm performing in the video is TRE - Trauma and Tension Release Exercises. I have used TRE already for six years to relax. For me TRE gets strong: it takes my whole body and also the eyes. It may look really crazy, goofy or scary - and yes, it reminds shaking and trembling of a shaman going into the trance. I have found it's the best way to relax my neck, shoulders, aches of the body. It really relaxes and makes the body light. Notice that I don't go into a trance, I can start TRE and end it in the second I want. It's always with me, my super power.







My automatic drawing skills started through TRE. First the lines were shaky but then it became more concentrated and secure. It has its own way and I'm following the smooth movement and creating curvy lines, thousands of dots and lace-like motives across the paper. My hand would draw everything: it doesn't care the corners of the paper. The motives shown on the paper are just glimpses of a bigger plan.

About TRE - Trauma and Tension Release Exercises: it's a somatic body based practise than is started by a certain serie of moves. (When you practise TRE many times you don't necessarily need those first starting steps - I got it in me already after two times and can start it right away when I want and can do it on lying, sitting, standing and even walking.) My TRE instructor said that there is no human being that couldn't do TRE after those serie of moves, it's all about natural shaking in our body.





Video was filmed in a historical Finlayson factory area, in an old weaving hall (built in 1837). I was happy to show the ready video in a similar hall in Finlayson in the group exibition. Video was filmed and edited by Jemina Siltala whom I found last summer: she was as a summer worker in our art event. Very talented graphic designer who does also great videos. Also the assistant, Kirsi Tuuliniemi, I know from my work. The result became even better than I planned. I got my wishes into a visual form and Jemina also suggested some good effects.

The video is meant to be shown in a dark room on a dark wall, the picture being about 4 metres wide.

Trance (A Dream), 2021
video, 8 minutes
filmed & edited: Jemina Siltala
music: Elias Laiho
assistant: Kirsi Tuuliniemi



 

Comments